These last weeks I have had a few health problems and because of bad luck (poor medical care from incompetent doctors), it was hard to control and I had quite a lot of side effects from drugs. As a consequence, it affected my ear as well as my voice and my respiratory capacity. Now my health condition is much better, but while reflecting on my professional practices, I have been surprised to see to what extent I changed some of my teaching strategies to cope and to compensate for my weaknesses. Even if it was quite a demanding situation, I am quite happy with the new tools that I used and I thought that I could share this experience with you if by chance it should happen to you as well. Here are some tips:
1/ I slowed down my speech. It helped the students to think more before responding to my answers
2/ I gave instructions and information thanks to an online prompter: http://cueprompter.com/
The funny fact is that many students who used to be reluctant in reading, were happy to develop this skill and were keen to increase the speed of their reading.
3/ I also gave them some information thanks to online readings in the target language. This tool is interesting for students with dyslexia. It is available in English, French, Italian, Spanish and Arabic Languages https://www.naturalreaders.com/index.html
The fact that men and women’s voices can be chosen freely lead students to be accustomed to different speech rhythms, accents, tones and intonations.
In conclusion, being sick can lead to great professional experiences and new discoveries….